No fewer than 14 shops and 16 kiosks have been razed by an early morning fire at the Adeniji Adele Market in Lagos Island.
Confirming the unfortunate incident, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), said the fire started at about 3am on Sunday as a result of electrical malfunction in one of the affected shops.
An official of the agency who spoke on grounds of anonymity said they received a distress call around 3:13am and rescuers raced to the scene within 10 minutes.
“The fire was restricted within affected areas and stopped from spreading further. 14 shops and 16 kiosks were affected.
“Properties and goods were salvaged by emergency responders including Federal and Lagos State Fire Services, Nigeria Police and LASEMA Response Team,” the source said.