Ambush on Governor’s convoy: Borno to provide supports to family of deceased
By Michy Abraham in Maiduguri
Borno State Governor, Prof. Babagana Zulum has promised to provide livelihood and educational supports to the family of those killed in Boko Haram attack on his convoy.
The governor, who met with the families of policemen and civilian JTF volunteers killed in an ambush on Friday while on their way to Baga as security backup to the governor, said on Monday at the headquarters of Borno State police in Maiduguri where the bereaved families gathered to receive him, said: “I am purposely here to sympathize and condole with you our brothers and sisters the families of our deceased policemen.
“It is very unfortunate that the incident happened. May Almighty God in his infinite mercy forgive and reward them for their sacrifices and may He grant you the fortitude to bear this huge loss that is for all of us.”
He added: “It is so sad, looking at what happened. It is quite unfortunate and I am pained by that incident. However, those men died as heroes, as patriots and as people that have brought honour to their families even though we never wished that it happened.”
He said Borno state government was going to offer support to families of the bereaved, but however explained that “Government will not publicly announce the nature of support so that it does not appear as if the support equalled the values of the lives of those killed.”
The governor while noting that nothing can compensate for the life of a human being., said: “Insha’ Allah we shall do everything possible to support the families. The education of their children is very important in addition to the support for their means of livelihood. I want to once again sympathize with the families on behalf of the grateful people of Borno State.
“I condole with the Borno state police command, the CP, the Inspector General of Police, the Nigeria Police Force and entire Nigerians over the sad moment” Zulum.”
The governor was also at the State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri to console those injured from the Baga ambush.
Conducting the Governor round, Medical Director of the Hospital, Dr. Laraba Bello explained that eight injured persons were brought to the hospital on Sunday made up of a policeman and seven CJTF members.
He said five persons had been treated and discharged while the remaining three were responding to treatment after sustaining injuries from gun shots.